The Interview

I like James Franco, always have. Seth Rogen was funnier when he was obscure and starting out like in The 40 Year-Old Virgin and Knocked Up; I even liked him playing supporting in Funny People. I typically boycott their buddy movies (Pineapple Express, This Is The End...) because I feel like THEY think they are funnier than they actually are. But lemme tell you something I ate my damn words watching The Interview. This movie was SO flippin funny I was crying laughing beginning to end BUT I can see why North Korea is upset. Keep reading.
So the controversy is that Kim Jong Un is the Dictator in North Korea and his people believe any and everything he has including he doesn't have a butthole so he doesn't poop or fart, it's okay to starve them, and he has no real emotions. These are things the movie directly says and they dispel all that. So let's say all these things are true, to make a movie about dispelling those myths probably would upset anyone. Say the British made a comedy about assassinating Oprah Winfrey? No one can talk about Oprah but us...I know that's a huge stretch because to us Oprah isn't a tyrant she's amazing. But to North Korea Kim isn't a tyrant either...he's amazing. Get my point? It's actually tougher for Americans because we dispel all myths about our heroes. We search for the flaws & imperfections once they rise to the top. Other countries take them at face value. My point I get why they would be upset.

Having said that James Franco & Seth Rogen were amazing. James' character is Dave Skylark, the best interviewer in the history of interviewers. He gets people to reveal things about themselves they previously would never. Seth plays his producer. When Dave finds out Kim Jong Un loves his show, he recruits Seth's character to land the interview. Only the FBI get wind of the interview and ask him to assassinate. 

Honey potting and Honey dicking are my new favorite terms btw. This movie gets 4 out of 5 for me. What they shoulda done was make it a fictional dictator to avoid controversy, but they clearly wanted the controversy in order to get more press. For this reason it feels like they can't complain about any sort of bad press.  

...my older posts