Black Panther

File:Black Panther film poster.jpg
"Black Panther" was worth the hype. 5 out of 5 stars...and no it's not just because I'm black and most of the cast was black...keep reading.

The reason I loved this movie is because it was written flawlessly. The balance of action, talk, and love was perfect. My ONLY gripe (and I know I will get flack for this) is Michael B. Jordan didn't sell me on being a villain. But otherwise EVERYONE  brought their A game. 

Angela Bassett is a consummate pro in EVERYTHING, but for me the scene stealer was Winston Duke as M'Baku. He was tough, funny, and sexy all at the same time in EVERY scene he was in. Of course Chadwick is my favorite as he was tough, funny, and sexy but also emotional and vulnerable without being weak.

This movie is in my top 3 superhero movies behind Marvel's Avengers and Wonder Woman BECAUSE it tells an origin story, creates an entire country, AND has you laughing and gasping at the same time. After the movie I came home and watched Fruitvale Station, and now Ryan Coogler has the distinction of being the only director/writer that I've seen ALL of his theatrical releases and liked them (Creed was his other directing/writing effort). And another thing I love about Marvel is Kevin Feige gets it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. So Ryan will be back for the BP sequel.

Something NO ONE is talking about is how profound this movie is. There are no damsels in distress, there is no cast whitewashing, and the beautiful women in the movie have DARK skin...so do the men. I felt soooooooooooo validated watching this movie as a dark skinned American. Growing up my friends and family always told me I was beautiful, but I didn't feel it inside. Watching these women kick ass as an adult I was empowered to feel as beautiful as I wanted. My fave character was Okoye portrayed by Danai Gurira ("Michonne" from "The Walking Dead). She was as tough, funny, sexy, emotional, and vulnerable as Chadwick's T'Challa. She was actually my favorite character too.  

I hope that like "Avatar" there is a Wakanda world created at Disney because WOW was it beautiful. 

No spoilers here, but every black person that sees it will identify with both T'Challa and Killmonger's mentalities.

Please, please, please let this be a trend. Starting with "Wonder Woman" that not every superhero has to be a white male. 

Update: I ended up seeing this movie a record 6 times in the theaters. And it was the first superhero movie to be nominated for a Best Picture Academy Award, first MCU film to WIN an Academy Award, and first superhero movie with a non-white male lead to score a billion dollar box office. Just a movie that brown down so many barriers!

...my older posts