Ocean's 8

Image result for ocean's 8
Listen before October 2017 I classified myself as a feminist through and through; I disliked the idea of an "all female Ocean's movie" because I felt it was too inclusive, but I still went because I support women. Was I surprised when the movie ended up being 5 out of 5 stars. Keep reading...

This movie reminds me of the first Ocean's 11 movie: smart, funny, and clever. The thing I love is there are certain things you KNOW is going to happen so you're focused on that but then BAM something else happens and you're like WHOA I didn't see that coming. But again it's because you were focused on that other thing you KNEW was true. 

Debbie Ocean (Sandra Bullock) gets out of prison after 5 years with a plan to frame the man who put her in prison, ex-boyfriend Claude Becker (Richard Armitage) while robbing the Met Gala. She enlists her bestie Lou (Cate Blanchett), profiteer turned housewife Tammy (Sarah Paulson), tech genius Nine Ball (Rihanna), pickpocket Constance (Awkwafina), jeweler Amita (Mindy Kalling),  fashion designer Rose Weil (Helena Bonham Carter), and actress Daphne Kluger (Anne Hathaway).  Yes it's a twofer running a job in a job, but there are so many twists and turns I was thoroughly entertained from beginning till end. I liked the movie so much I saw it twice and may go a third time. Each time I pick up more things and love it that much more. 

This movie isn't about being a feminist. In fact there's a line where Lou says "What about him?" referring to a guy to be on the team. Debbie says "No cuz he's a him. For once on this job we need all women so we aren't noticed." BOOM right there. This is why it's being done because women are still in 2018 seen as inferior and unable to pull off heists, beat up criminals, rob banks, etc. Women are STILL not seen as equal to men therefore they are overlooked. THAT is why Debbie pulled off this job. AMAZING! I was blown away at the reality and honesty of this film.

If you want to see a great summer movie this was it. Trust me you won't be disappointed. And James Corden plays the insurer looking for the missing necklace. I say they get Ellen Degeneres for the sequel...Ocean's 9!!!!

...my older posts