Mudbound

Image result for mudbound
I liked it, and I didn't. I'd definitely give it 4 stars out of 5. Keep reading.
This story is about a destitute white family named the McAllans (Jason Clarke as Henry, Carey Mulligan as Henry's wife Laura, Garrett Hedlund as Henry's brother Jamie, and Jonathan Banks as  Henry & Jamie's dad Pappy) that moves in with a black family named the Jacksons that owns a farm (Mary J. Blige as Florence, Jason Mitchell as Florence's son Ronsel, and Rob Morgan as Florence's husband & Ronsel's dad Hap) when their housing goes to pot. This movie is based on a book of the same name.

So I'm watching and not understanding the hub-bub. It was an intense movie, but what ticked me off the most is there was no moment that I felt we were strong as black folks. The McAllans whom were Irish were so racist and disrespectful to Ronsel (son of their host family) who just came back from serving in the Army. I was waiting for Florence or Hap to say "THIS IS MY SON AND YOU'RE GUESTS IN MY HOME!" Yet there wasn't. There was no pride just sheepishness. It's fiction so had it just had that ONE moment and maybe Pappy and his racist family were offended, but at least it had the moment. It didn't. That irked me. To the point where they were racist, Ronsel stood up for himself, and Hap told Henry "Oh my son apologizes to you and will apologize to your dad." WHAT?! Nah! Black History Month is next month and there was no pride shown.

Honestly had that one scene been in the movie this would've been a 5 star movie for me. Yes it's a bit, but it's still a good movie.

...my older posts