Movies the Beginning of 2017

Below are my reviews of the movies from the first half of 2017


Bad Movies: "A Cure for Wellness" 

Good Movies: "Before I Fall" and "Kong: Skull Island" 

Favorite Movies: "Fifty Shades Darker," "The Great Wall," "Fist Fight," "Get Out," "Logan," "Table 19," "The Belko Experiment"

"Beauty and The Beast" is like watching a live-action version of the cartoon. My eyes popped, the story was sharp, and the characters were engaging. Saw it twice so far. LOVE LOVE Emma Watson as Belle. Luke Evans is PERFECT as Gaston. And Dan Evans (of "Downton Abbey") was the perfect choice for Beast. The biggest shock was all the people of color and openly gay LeFou (Josh Gad). Perfect movie right now! It'll win Oscars for Costume, Visual Effects, Cinematography, and Best Picture easily in 2018.

"John Wick: Chapter 2" was OKAY compared to its predecessor "John Wick." Keanu Reeves revitalized his career with the first JW. He was action oriented BUT having lived through his wife's cancerous death then to have thieves steal his car and murder his dog in front of him revenge was NECESSARY. JW 2 wasn't really necessary in my book.

"Split" AWFUL movie. I wanted my money back. It made dissociative personality disorder a plot device, and the characters were UNBELIEVABLY dumb. Awful movie.

"The Shack" changed how I look at grudges and God. It's about a married father of three whose youngest child gets kidnapped on a camping trip. With God's help he goes back to the shack in the wood where they believe her body last was and tries forgiving the kidnapper. WOW is all I can say. I cried so many times. Sam Worthington and Octavia Spencer deserve Oscar nods; both of them blew me away. Best Picture and Screenplay will follow.

"Life" was a good movie until the VERY end. I won't spoil it but basically astronaut-trained scientists find proof of life from Mars. A single organism grows to a deadly being named Calvin (by one of the doctors). Once you see it post, and we can discuss. I don't like giving out spoilers. Jake Gyllenhaal and Rebecca Ferguson DESERVE Oscar nods.

...my older posts