The Hate U Give

Image result for the hate u give
Based on a line from a Tupac song "The Hate U Give" represents so many things! My interpretation is how you treat people is what can pass down to your family and can sometimes come back to you.

I was skeptical because Amandla Stenberg is very light skinned compared to EVERYONE else except for my boo Common in the movie. But that is the thing about her casting which SELLS the entire premise of the movie.

Starr is a black girl from the ghetto going to the preppy white Williamson School. Being a light skin black girl she is NON-threatening. Characters even tell her that. But her entire world changes when one of her childhood friends is killed by a cop. It's basically a Black Lives Matter movie. What I loved is that it was told from all sides. You STILL feel Black folk are at a disadvantage, but Common's character is her uncle and a cop. You hear his take on things. Although you do not agree, you hear it. Something we don't get in real life...

5 stars out of 5. So worth seeing. I think Amandla and Russell Hornsby (who plays her dad) deserve Oscar nominations. And George Tillman Jr's direction WOW! But that script by Audrey Wells and Tina Mabry GOT ME! And Algee Smith blew me away! DANG! Heck even KJ Apa as Chris, Starr's white preppy boyfriend, was good. I'm still shook a day later...bring tissues. And watch for Regina Hall and Issa Rae!

...my older posts