Guardians of The Galaxy

Nothing and no one will EVER beat The Avengers in my mind. That is and always will be hands down the best superhero movie of all time...Guardians of the Galaxy in my opinion is the second best superhero movie of all time. It is in the words of Queen Beyoncé #Flawless. And I dare someone to challenge me. (read below)

Know to me as the ex of Jenna Fischer (rolls eyes) James Gunn co-wrote and directed this amazing film. It was like he took notes from Joss Wheadon on how to write and direct because it most definitely left no stone unturned. Now I never read the comics, but the acting, direction, set design, special effects...stunning. I was impressed by the costume and makeup too. 

The performances. I think Chris Pratt said it best in the movie "I just felt a little pee." WOW! Chris Pratt's transformation into a Greek God was dedication and hard work. But I think it gave him confidence. It's like when actress Charlize Theron won the Academy Award for Monster. She was good before, but this one performance proved to everyone she was more than just an exterior. So that her next role North Country she acted per normal with the confidence she had from her Oscar winning role the year prior that she was nominated AGAIN. And that's what Chris did. He said "Ok you all didn't notice me cuz of my weight, but now that I'm buff you'll notice me won't you?" And the answer is yes, Chris. I can see him playing a romantic lead...he reminds me of a better acting Ryan Reynolds...sorry Ryan. And my female crush that's been brewing for years is Zoe Saldana. That girl is LEADING THE PACK! She is telling Black women to stop bitching about how racist Hollywood is and get out there and get roles. She is green the entire movie so her skin tone has no bearing, but her acting does. She's the Black Angelina Jolie...and she will win an Oscar one day too. Dave Bautista is the hottest grandfather on the planet; you would think his acting would be limited but oh no he's angry, sad, broken hearted, and silly all in one role. And I hate to say it but Bradley Cooper showed more range as a genetically mutated raccoon than he ever has in person. But to be fair I think it's because he can look stupid and scream into a mic whereas in person we are so self-conscious as adults. It's why kids are better actors, they play pretend and have no bearings on their surroundings or looking "foolish." Vin Diesel is HILARIOUS.COM as Groot. Oscar nominees Glenn Close & John C. Reilly briefly appear which I loved. I LOVE LOVE LOVE when Oscar winners and industry darlings appear in big budget movies. 

Storyline: Chris Pratt plays Earthling Peter Quill aka StarLord who makes his living as a paid thief. Bradley Cooper's Rocket & Groot are bounty hunters. Dave Bautista is Drax the Destroyer a man who watched his daughter and wife get murdered by the man who adopted Zoe Saldana's Gamoura. And the man who wants to kill planets and rule the galaxy? Lee Pace as Ronan. Their worlds collide when Peter Quill steals a power that will help Ronan destroy planets. Ronan sends Gamoura to retrieve this. Rocket & Groot see Peter and want to kidnap him to deliver him for a bounty reward. After all four land in jail they meet Drax who wants to kill Gamoura to show Ronan what it's like to lose a family member only Gamoura is working against Ronan because she disagrees with his plans. They bust out of jail with the "weapon" and band together to stop Ronan. Such a simple story. You know they will all end up friends, but it's the journey getting there that's fun to watch. You even find out how Peter Quill got his nickname StarLord which is pretty heartbreaking. This movie is like watching a cartoon character breathe, you see life throughout. Every single character is fleshed out so well and honestly. My ONLY quib is I have no idea why Ronan is power hungry, why he "adopted" Gamoura and her sister Nebula, and why their father Thanos allowed this. Now Thanos will be in the one of the Avengers movies (he was in the post credit ending of second but James Spader plays Ultron who'll be the villain in the next one). James Gunn's lines are brilliant, spot on, and funny.  My favorite lines from the movie are any and everything coming out of Rocket's mouth. SO FUNNY!

5 stars out of 5. Go see this movie; you won't be disappointed. In fact you will be pleasantly surprised at how uncorny and refreshing it is. And stay till after the credits for a cute scene starring Howard the Duck.

...my older posts