Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders

Image result for law and order true crime
At first I was apprehensive to try this show because I thought it was a cheap attempt at American Crime Story on fx...boy was I wrong. Keep reading.
Emmy winner Edie Falco (HBO's "The Sopranos" and Showtime's "Nurse Jackie") portrays Leslie Abramson, the Menendez brothers' lawyers. Miles Gaston Villanueva (CBS soap "The Young & The Restless") portrays Lyle Menendez and Gus Halper (Starz's "Power") portrays Erik Menendez. What I knew about the Menendez brothers was they were rich kids who killed their parents. What I found out was eye opening.

Right before the OJ Simpson case the story of the double homicide in Beverly Hills, CA rocked the world in 1989. Not only were wealthy mother and father killed in their mansion's den with multiple gun shots, but their two sons were the only suspects. I was 13 so I didn't follow the trial, but as an adult I always heard rumors here and there. I'm not sure what kind of research was done on the show, but if this show is true I can better understand them...I still don't condone what they've done.

This 8 episode anthology series goes deep into the Menendez brothers' motives: they were being molested. At first you think it's crap, but when you hear testimony and evidence from family members on BOTH sides and friends you begin to understand their motive. No secret that they received life in prison without parole, but the surprising part is how unethical and unfair the judge was as well as my reaction to finding out the molestation was true.

All three of the main leads were FLAWLESS in their acting portrayal. I felt so bad for Gus because he cried in EVERY episode; he's probably all dried out of tears. Every scene Edie was in she commanded your attention, and Miles proved he was a hidden gem of talent. He is raw talent like Gus but where Gus's Erik let his tears willingly fall, Miles' Lyle tried to be brave and at least put up a fight before the tears fell. Chris Bauer (HBO's "True Blood"), Sam Haeger (NBC's "Parenthood"), Harry Hamlin, and Anthony Edwards (NBC's "ER") played perfect, believable supporting cast members. The writing and direction were in line with Dick Wolf's quality of fine TV. Edie, Miles, and Gus deserve Lead Actress and Actor and Supporting Actor Emmys in TV Movie/Miniseries categories. 

The show gets 5 stars from me, but the one question I never got an answer to is why they kept going back. On a personal level these kids were molested from a VERY young age, but most abuse victims leave the home and never look back. Why did they stay? Why didn't they go off to college in the east coast or overseas? Join the military that way they wouldn't have a CHOICE to come back? Why murder? They spent more time planning murder than evacuation plan. I feel their lifetime without parole is justified (again on a personal level) I just will never understand why murder was their ONLY option.

...my older posts