The Butler

File:The Butler poster.jpg
Aside from the woman behind me dangling her bare feet across the seat, the talking women nearby, and the cell phone that stayed lit most of the time this was the most important movie of my life.

Growing up in Agawam, MA I always wondered why I never knew about Black History. In high school we were mentioned in Social Studies during the Boston Tea Party when Crispus Attucks died. I was going to the library to learn more about it when during my work-study (I was in Business Class and my last period was devoted to working in the Principal's Office doing clerical duties including going to every classroom passing out attendance for the day) something traumatized me. As I walked into Mr. Zamburello's Social Studies class to hand him attends someone called me Crispus Attucks outloud. I turned around and Mr. Zamburello was laughing with the students. I left and told no one, but I also became ashamed of my history. I never looked up anything about Black people again. I also became very uncomfortable around other Black people as when I entered college I was "Uncle Tom." I didn't know who he was so I just kept to myself, but my friend Devonna and I hung out. She was the prettiest black girl before Halle Berry. And so nice. People called her "white" even though she was as dark if not darker than me. Why? Because like me she was educated and carried herself with respect. We became fast friends and still are to this day. It wasn't till I was out of college I started to actually research more about my Black history. I know a few things, but I'm more of a visual person (says the writer).

Enter Danny Strong. Danny Strong played a supporting role in Joss Wheadon's TV series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." Jonathan was a chubby nerd who wanted a girlfriend. I didn't think much of Danny Strong after the show was cancelled. Then his name popped up a couple of years ago. He won the Primetime Emmy for writing the made-for-tv-movie "Game Change." Really? Jonathan from "Buffy?" And then Lee Daniels (director of "Precious") directed his movie called "The Butler." Now Danny Strong has my attention.

"The Butler" isn't a story about a black man serving White House Presidents. Oh no it's much more. It's a story about our history...Black history. This movie touched on EVERY major Black story in America even Sidney Poitier. The only thing they left out was Dorothy Dandridge. But seriously I think they hit on that with Sidney.

I am calling this now as this year's "Lincoln." In fact it almost feels like it picked up where "Lincoln" left off. Forrest WILL win his second Academy Award for Best Actor. Oprah will be nominated for Supporting Actress although she could be Lead. She steals every scene she's in even when she's being silent. Cuba Gooding Jr. and/or David Oyewolo will be nominated for Best Supporting Actor. The performances were amazing. Even James Marsden whom sounded very close to JFK. The only performance that left me uninspired was Minka Kelly as Jackie O...there were NO TEARS! Leighton Meister woulda been a better choice lookwise and actingwise. Talk about acting chops! But Lee Daniels and Danny Strong will win for directing and writing respectively too. 

Overall I give this movie ten stars out of five. It was amazingly perfect; everyone involved should be proud. If We're the Millers is my fave comedy of the year, "The Butler" is my fave drama of the year. AMAZING!

...my older posts