Aquaman

Aquaman poster.jpg
Welp DC got it right again...Wonder Woman is still my fave DC superhero film, but this is a close second. At first the casting of Jason Momoa as "Aquaman" had me puzzled. But when I saw him in Justice League I got it. And they didn't whitewash him. They made his dad Native American as well. And they cast Black Manta as sexy black actor Yahya Abdul-Mateen II. This movie is the most diverse any DC movie has ever been. 

Without giving away any spoilers the actual story is very simple and clean. Lighthouse keeper Tom Curry (Temuera Morrison) sees a washed up Atlantean named Atlanna (Nicole Kidman). He takes her in, and they fall in love. She escaped Atlantis to avoid an arranged marriage to a man she didn't love. During a storm she has their son and name him Arthur (after the storm). Atlanteans decide they want her back and come to "retrieve" her. She defeats them but goes back to Atlantis to keep her family safe, but promises Arthur and Tom she will return one day. She goes back, marries this man, sires his child, then is murdered when she tells them she already sired Arthur. Years later Arthur must go to Atlantis are take his rightful place as heir to the throne because his tyrannical half brother Orm (Patrick Wilson) is trying to start a war between Atlanteans and humans.  

That's all I'm revealing HAHA now the execution is amazing. This movie kept me glued throughout the entire movie. If you are a fan of "Superfriends" (I watched the original run EVERY Saturday morning with my cousin Wendell at 6am) you will LOVE the nods to that especially Black Manta. The movie explained everything and did an incredible job of bringing the cartoon and comic to life. I did despise some of the forced "funny" moments. It was as if "Ok we need to make it funny" instead of "oh this would be funny" (like when Aquaman sat on the lasso of truth in "Justice League"). Honestly I cannot see anyone else as Aquaman now. And Amber Heard was GORG as Mera. Loved Dolph Lundgren as Mera's dad. Nicole Kidman kicking ass in her fight scenes rocked my world. YASSS! Hunty, she beat the tar out of them evil Atlanteans.

I will still give this 5 stars out of 5. Cannot wait for the sequel, AND I have to see it again with my nephew...looking forward to it.

...my older posts