The Boy Next Door

The whole premise of this story is Claire (Jennifer Lopez) is a mother separated from her husband whom has a one-night stand with her son's best friend Noah (Ryan sexy Guzman) whom happens to live next door. So I'm giving it 3 stars out of 5, and it's actually NOT why you think. Keep reading...
So this doesn't sound like it'll ever win an Oscar, cuz it won't. I don't even think it'd win a Razzie. BUT it's OK because of plothotles. Now if you are like me you publicly say JLo is "OK" but buy all her albums and see all her movies. Wait...but I can name a few movies JLo is AMAZING in: "Angel Eyes," "Out of Sight," "The Cell," "Anaconda," "Monster-In-Law," and my personal fave "Selena." Her other movies I think she phones them in. No seriously. Me being honest NOT bashing...I HAVE ALL THE WOMAN'S ALBUMS!!!! This movie...she IS Claire. She cries at the drop of a hat, is actually vulnerable, and scared for her life and her family's lives. I BELIEVE her every word. What I don't believe is Ryan Guzman as a psychopath. NOT cuz he's so gorgeous he can turn a straight guy gay. NOT cuz he's NOT believable in his portrayal. NOT because he's butt is the male version of JLo's...wait no I'm digressing. But throughout the movie Noah gets crazier and crazier. The thing is Claire is a teacher and Ryan is a senior. Their one-night stand could cost Claire EVERYTHING...but WHY does Ryan wanna be with her so bad? The movie NEVER explains this. They explain her; she's fully fleshed out. And how Garrett (John Corbett) cheated on her and made her vulnerable and raising her son essentially alone for the past 9 months, but Noah feels like a stock character "Handsome crazy guy." Did I mention his butt is so tight you could bounce a quarter off of it and get five bucks back? Sorry. But there really is no reason for Noah being crazy. They have one night of hot loving and boom he's cray. Even further into the film when you find out more about his past NO explanation why he's crazy. Is he spoiled? Did something happen with a nanny? The excuse they gave does NOT come close so I want more.

For that reason I give the movie a 3. Its premise isn't original, but its execution is. I did love this movie and the one-liners. "Hey take a cookie for the road. I love your mother's cookies." or "Hey Claire did you tell them what happened this weekend? Man it was really wet up here." Was DYING! And Ryan's delivery is what sells it. He's so beautiful and has a cocky yet innocence about him. He's the guy parents trust their daughters with but the minute he's alone with that girl she'll prob end up pregnant in every orifice of her body LOL OMG so graphic. What's with me? Well lemme tell you this movie was GRAPHIC. Graphic for JLo. While Noah is...eating oysters he grabs Claire's naked breasts and massages them. NOT MY JLO! Wow I was like "GIIIIIIIIIIIRL!" And there is a part in the movie where she fights Noah. Let's just say I scared the theater when I screamed "NOT THE FACE!" Then they all laughed. Whoops forgot I wasn't in my living room watching this.

In all honesty Ryan is a good actor. Very intense. I love when beautiful models act and actually CAN act; he is going to explode. Really this is the tip of the iceberg for this beautiful creature. And Ian Nelson who plays Garrett & Claire's son Kevin is brilliant as her awkward smart son. Yes he plays the typical geek role but there's ONE scene between he & Ryan that will both make you LOVE Noah and cry for Kevin. In fact reflecting on it now I have no idea why the scene is in the movie. It's a BIG moment between the two boys and yet it's mentioned ONCE briefly. I wish that scene woulda been expanded on. Ryan did an amazing job, and I teared up.

This movie will definitely do well at the box office. But I have to say something. Don't hate me, JLO, if you're reading. So when John Corbett came on screen to play Garrett I felt like I was watching Gigli part 2. John looked SO MUCH like an older version of Ben Affleck it was jarring. These two have SO MUCH chemistry. I loved John & JLo sharing scenes and definitely rooted for them, but it was more because it was Bennifer all over again and I got nostalgic. :( Mira, don't hate me.

Now I am off to follow JLO and Ryan on Twitter. Yes I will publicly like her. Don't judge me. Oh and ps shout out to Travis Schuldt (from "Passions"). Get this on NBC's Passions he played Ethan and in this movie his character's name is Ethan LOL Sorry I geeked out when I saw him. Anyways go see. You will enjoy it!

...my older posts