The Loft

An American remake of the Dutch original about five married best friends whom have a secret loft together....secret until a dead girl is found in the bed. An arrest is made of all five. If all five are the only ones that had the key, who did it? I give this 4 out of 5 stars. Read on.
First let me say great performances. And I love that this isn't the usual star cast BUT the fit perfectly. Wentworth Miller is the sensitive Luke, married with two kids and a wife with Diabetes. Eric Stonestreet is Martin, loud obnoxious married guy's guy. James Marsden is Chris, married father of two to a frigid bitch but happy nonetheless. Matthias Schoenaerts reprises his role from the Dutch original playing Philip, Chris' former junkie newlywed half-brother. Karl Urban is the playboy Vincent, the married architect who set this all up. Vincent invites his friends to this guy's getaway. 

It's an amazing story with flashbacks during present. It explains and fleshes everyone out. Even when actors are simply looking they are speaking so loudly. My only two faults with this movie are:
1) Isabel Lucas. She can't act which throws off scenes where she is with actors that rise. And she's so painfully thin it's uncomfortable watching her onscreen. I dunno why the director thought it was OK to show a skinny blond onscreen in the wake of so much body imagery in the world, but she's REALLY THIN! I would've loved to seen a name actor in that role like Blake Lively or Teresa Palmer. Blake woulda been amazing actually! Funny part is I saw her in Transformers 2 she wasn't this thin. I wanna hug her.

2) I wish there was ONE SCENE to show WHY these guys needed this loft. There is no explaining why they need it, no tour of the beautiful building. Just two scenes: one where the group with their wives tour the building he just built. Another where the guys talk about wishing they could have a break from their wives and just kick back or sit alone.

Other than that this movie is so full of twists and turns when you think you have it all figured out you're wrong. It's awesome when the big reveal happens and I liked it alot. 

Once again Matthias steals the show. He's such an intense actor I think an Oscar is in his future. It was comical though seeing Eric Stonestreet play it straight (literally) as a skirt chaser. His language and mannerisms made me laugh so hard lol Hopefully that was intentional. Karl Urban oozes sex appeal in a button down and slacks. And Wentworth BROKE MY HEART! 

I haven't seen the original, but I just might. Definitely worth checking out. I highly recommend. There's even a lil Karl naked booty shot and Wentworth's butt in slacks (bites knuckle) WOW :)

...my older posts