Straight Outta Compton

Arguably the most important movie I have ever seen in my entire life to date. Without a doubt 5 stars. Keep reading...

Corey Hawkins, O'Shea Jackson Jr, and Jason Mitchell portray Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, and Eazy-E respectively. And when I say portray I mean these men make you BELIEVE this is whom they are. It's like Jennifer Hudson in "Dreamgirls." I pray all three are nominated for Oscars (Corey for Lead Actor and O'Shea & Jason for Supporting Actor) I mean WOW I was blown away. Not just by their performances either (or the fact that the actors look IDENTICAL to their counterparts - O'Shea had the advantage as he's Ice Cube's real-life son), but the story is so amazing. It all makes complete sense why their real-life counterparts did and said the things they did and said. And I really liked how there was no clear bad guy. Jerry Heller (portrayed by Paul Giamatti) was not a BAD person...he was a businessman...oh forgot him. Yeah he's definitely gonna get Supporting Actor nod too. Hmm maybe O'Shea will need to be bumped to Lead lol 

What I loved most about the script is the bond these men had was about loyalty and friendship. F. Gary Gray (a multiple collaborator with Ice Cube) did a fantastic job of directing the shit outta this movie. If he doesn't get a Best Director nod Ima be upset.

Something I don't like to brag about simply because it's just odd for me but Eazy-E (Eric Wright) was my mother's first cousin Katie Wright's son. When he was alive my family did a California family reunion which he attended and took pix with my family. I heard nothing but amazing stories about him. So it was inspirational and enlightening to see his life and where he came from. He wasn't just a drug dealing thug...he was MUCH more than that.

My only gripe about the movie is I wish is was longer. I wanna see Ice Cube & Dre get married. Considering where they came from I wanna see the contrast. And I wanna see them househunting, more about their millions and what they did with it. I hate that the movie wasn't at minimum two and a half hours long. Other than those minor details amazing movie I wanna see over and over again. Everyone in the cast will be HUGE stars...trust!

...my older posts