Proud Mary

Image result for proud mary
I will say this right off the bat, this movie is A LOT better than the trailer suggests. It's actually 4 out of 5 stars. Not gonna lie. But you have to have the right mindset. Let me explain...
So Taraji P. Henson plays Mary, a emotionless assassin working for Benny (Danny Glover) whose son she used to date Tom (sexy as all kinds of hell Billy Brown). Things change for Mary when she goes on a random job killing a bookie that owes over $100k. She sees a kid there, but instead of killing him she keeps an eye on him from a distance for over a year. 

That's all you're getting lol no spoilers. But lemme say I went into this movie thinking an updated Blacksploitation movie, but it's an action-drama. VERY good movie. And there's a secret that is NEVER spoken even after the movie ends. You can see it as the audience, but this movie never says it. WOW!!!! I think that could be how the movie got its name.

I wondered at first why Taraji would do this movie, but I get it now. One of my fave action movies in awhile. Not just showing a black woman in a leading action role, but it's so much more than that. 

If you want a good action movie and like Taraji see this...bonus the entire movie is set and filmed in Boston. I loved seeing things I recognized...and the actor playing Maurice is someone I met in 2013! It was so funny when I saw him I was in the back row of the theater alone so I could say out loud "OMG I know him!" His name is Jose Gonsalves. He played a cop on set, and I coulda sworn he was a real cop. Such a good guy. 

UPDATE: Oh this is loosely based on the 1980 movie "Gloria" with Gena Rowlands. Oh NOW it makes sense. I just fell in love with this movie even more.

...my older posts