I, Tonya

Image result
I will say going into this movie I did not want to like it. We as a society keep propping people like OJ and Tonya Harding up on pedestals (yes I put them in the same sentence), but what about Nicole Brown Simpson, Ronald Goldman, and Nancy Kerrigan? As far as we know OJ has never admitted he killed Nicole and Ron, and Tonya never admitted she knew about the attack on Nancy beforehand. Again I put them in the same sentence...To be fair the movie does get 4 stars from me. Keep reading...


This move isn't really about making you feel sorry for Tonya, but more of explaining her behavior. Her mother was overbearing, her ex-husband was abusive, she didn't have any real friends, nor did she have a much of a childhood. She never really had a chance in life.  Having said that I didn't have a great childhood, but I don't let it hold me back I force it to push me forward. 

Aside from that subjective opinion the performances were outstanding. Allison Janney is a consummate pro and nailed this. She may edge out Laurie Metcalfe for Best Supporting Actress oscar. And yes Margot Robbie was phenomenal as Tonya...PHENOMENAL, but for me Sebastian Stan was a scene stealer. I'm used to seeing him as a cad on "Gossip Girl" or the Mad Hatter on "Once Upon A Time." But his portrayal of Jeff Gillooly was outstanding. I'm praying he gets nominated for an Oscar. I kept wanting to see what he'd do next in a scene. And Paul Walter Hauser was straight comedy even when he was being menacing. If Allison and Margot get awarded Stan and Paul should too. 

Overall I did enjoy the movie. I just wish someone, maybe the fake crew, would've challenged her to take responsibility for her own choices. Because in the end she still feels everything is "the universe against her" instead of "Gurl, get outta your own way."

And I hope in the future there are more stories showcasing other people. I'd love to see how Nancy Kerrigan came up, dealt with "the incident," and triumphed in the end.

...my older posts