Gringo

Image result for gringo movie
First thing's first this is a 4 out of 5 star movie. It is funny and heartbreaking at the same time...it loses 1/2 point because it is slow in parts. If ANYONE knows me they know how much I love movies; I fell asleep in part of this movie. THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES! Keep reading.

The reason this movie works is for a few reasons. 1) David Oyelowo is HILARIOUS as Harold, the unknowing drug accomplice for his company. He works for Joel Edgerton's playboy Richard, who's banging Charlize Theron's Elaine. Elaine and Richard set Harold up to "run" their drug company's operations in Mexico. Trouble is when they needed financial help they used local drug boss Black Panther (hilarious). Now that the company is about to be sold they want to cut ties with Black Panther. Black Panther thinks Harold is "Gringo" meaning the boss. He works with the local lab manager and hasn't met Elaine or Richard, but the manager tells Black Panther Harold isn't the BOSS but he has access to the drug formulas. Black Panther then says "Get the Black Gringo." And so begins a hilarious movie.

I won't give away spoilers, but I feel so bad for Harold AND Harold feels so bad for Harold. I love self-awareness in a movie btw. The other thing I LOVE is that this movie EASILY could've been all white. But thankfully it wasn't. But David's Harold is soooooooo funny and dare I say SEXY?! It's strange because his character is kind of a chump, but he's also strong and funny. Whomever thought to cast him THANK YOU! He's so perfect for this role. 

Now the other 1/2 point deduction is how Elaine is portrayed. She's the counterpart to Richard as far as being a player, but when she's hurt by him she acts out. I DO NOT LIKE WOMEN PORTRAYED LIKE THIS! She's strong but weak at the same time. Let's be more creative huh? 

Otherwise this movie was awesome. I loved it truly. I won't go see it again in the theater, but I would definitely watch it if it was on TV over and over.

...my older posts