Les Miserables

The story of the poor in France interweaving with each other set to music during the French Renaissance. The opening number with Hugh Jackman as a slave being released was informative. Russell Crowe (sigh) His role reminded me of when Pierce Brosnan sang in "Mamma Mia"...just shouldn't. Everyone in the theater laughed everytime Pierce sang. Same effect with Russell. 

The singing reminds me of "Evita" where almost every conversation is a song. There's very little speaking. I liked "Evita" because everyone involved sang really well. This was uncomfortable.

Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway are powerful. You can tell they were BORN singers. Anne's voice everytime she sings made me well up and cry. Seriously why isn't she a recording artist? WOW I predict she'll be on GLEE lol Helena Bonham Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen have great singing voices too. They weren't powerful and commanding but were good nonetheless. Like Richard Gere in "Chicago." Amanda Seyfreid sounds like a lil bird when she sings. And that's not making fun of her. Think of the most beautiful sounding chirp from the prettiest bird, and that's Amanda's singing voice. High and melodious. I loved it. Reminded me of "Snow White" singing in the forest. LOL I know random huh? I'm pretty sure the other actors were Broadway performers. They had that "Broadway" singing voice.

Overall the movie wasn't bad. I didn't hate it; I didn't love it. It felt like a Broadway show turned into a movie. I will say the CONSTANT singing got me confused as to what was going on with story. Thank God for Wikipedia or I wouldn't have understood what I just watched.

...my older posts