the Ides of March





George Clooney is back directing/co-writing and it couldn't be better. It's funny when he is involved behind the scenes the movies are much smarter. This included.


Academy Award Winner George Clooney is a senator running for Presidency with Academy Award Winner Philip Seymour Hoffman as his Campaign Manager and Academy Award Nominee Ryan Gosling as his Lobbyist. Rachel Evan Wood is sublime as an intern in the office. The chemistry between these four not to mention a few cameos from Academy Award Winner Marisa Tomei and Academy Award nominee Paul Giamatti were heaven.

There is not one fault in casting. One or two MINOR ones in the story but overall this is a powerful movie. It's not your usual political drama either. There's no booming love story. There's no big action scene. There's not a ton of backstabbing. There's this air of "Wait I have this figured out" to "I'm completely not sure what just happened" that sets this as one of my year's Top 10!

If I had to venture a guess it will net Ryan Gosling his second Academy Award nomination and MAY net Rachel Evan Wood her first ever. I could be wrong. I've been wrong in the past, but if Clooney isn't nominated for Best Original Screenplay and/or Directing the Academy is out of their collective minds!

Clint Eastwood should seriously watch out. Clooney is def nipping at his heels.

...my older posts