rapper Bishop's latest album

I just listened to local MA rapper Bishop's album. I give it 4 stars out of 5.

Started out with the rating first I know. So let me break it down a bit more: the lead song "Crazy Beautiful" WILL MAKE YOU POP YOUR FINGERS! I love love love this song. It's radio friendly and hip hop in its purest. Featured singer David Cancel's voice is relaxed and soulful. Bishop's rapping is strong. The beat is up-tempo. It's the type of song you sing at the top of your lungs while driving into work while blasting. Basically the song is about a girl who's BEAUTIFUL but insanely CRAZY. The message is about how women move too quick in relationships and end up being possessive and could potentially scare a guy off with that personality. I love everything about this song. The other song that sticks out is "Running Scared" I LOVE the fast talking rap. I love it! "Kings of Summer" is good too; the beat is insane! "Lullabye" featuring David Cancel again is a mid-tempo song you just fall in love with. It's so cool and relaxed. This song is about a guy telling his girlfriend he will devote himself to her no matter if he's working, no matter where he is, no matter what girl throws herself at him. I can see this as an AMAZING video! Second fave song on the album.

I love the songs on the album. The reason I give it 4 out of 5 stars is because...well let me say this. There are some Hip Hop songs (mid and up-tempo) then there are some hardcore gangsta rap songs about dark topics, swears, and you just can feel like he's been through ALOT! But here's the thing an artist like Madonna will typically have hit albums. People don't get why when artists like the late Whitney Houston and Toni Braxton have far superior voices. It's because of the concept album. Most artists don't realize it's not about committing to a character like Garth Brooks did Chris Gaines or Beyonce did Sasha Fierce; it's also about committing to a genre throughout the entire album. Madonna's "Confessions on the Dance Floor" is contemporary disco from beginning to end, "Ray of Light" is electronica, "Music" is electropop, and "Like A Prayer" is pop. MDNA as you can see did not have a full commitment throughout. She wanted dance, electronica, and pop in different songs and the album didn't fair as well. See my point? Had Bishop did one sound throughout the album I'd definitely label this a 5 out of 5. I love the hip hop songs, I love the gangsta rap songs, but together I don't love. When I listen to "I Am...Sasha Fierce" by Beyonce I get angry because the "I Am" portion is on the money; the "Sasha Fierce" portion isn't fast enough. "Single Ladies" was amazing the rest of the double album fit more into "I Am." Had Bishop put more Hip Hop songs like "Lullabye" and "Crazy Beautiful" throughout the whole album then put the remaining songs into another album I would love it. 

But be clear I love the songs on the album! The break in genres isn't jarring nor should it not discourage you from buying. Just want you to be prepared if you don't like gangsta rap but do like hip hop.

...my older posts