the one about "The Minister's Wife"

So since last week my friend Mark told me about being an extra on a lifetime TV movie filming in MA called "The Minister's Wife." He told me to contact a Production Assistant Lynnie. I called her, and we had the most AMAZING conversation. I clicked with her better than most of my dates!

I let her know I wasn't able to do the two days of shooting required for the courthouse scene (Monday and Tuesday) as I was housesitting, but could do Tuesday. As I came in on Tuesday the crew is so friendly saying hi to me and ushering me into the Extra's Holding Room. Everyone from the director to the Makeup Artist and Production Assistant was SO friendly. We were mainly handled by two PA's Lynnie and Aiden.

Lynnie and I met in person and clicked yet again (I consider her a new friend not a contact/connection; I'll tell you about that in a minute). Aiden was remembered EVERYONE'S name. He has this photographic memory that's just brilliant. 

Back to Lynnie. Our friendship is just so effortless, and I feel like I've known her my entire life even though we literally just met yesterday. Well onset unlike "Here Comes the Boom" or "Ted" the extras are engaging with the actors, bringing their cell phones on set, and talking nonstop. Yes it's a non-paid gig, but it's WORK! The actors are being paid. I was sickened by their unprofessionalism. And don't get me started on how some people were trying to use this opportunity to further their careers. I was using it as experience not a launchpad. One kid I call the white version of Chris Rock (he looked just like him) was going up to actors and overacting in scenes. This one lady (we're told NOT to speak) was so loud and overemoting. I was embarrassed to be in her category of extra. 

At the end of the day I went up to Gail and congratulated her on her work today (it was emotionally charged) as well as her work on "NYPD BLUE" (she was nominated for 3 Primetime Emmys). She said "You're new here. Yesterday I don't remember looking around seeing your face." I was floored. And Taylor Cole I thanked for being amazing on "The Event!" I said "At first I hated Vicky Roberts then at the end I loved her. But WHAT HAPPENED? The show got cancelled UGH!" She laughed.  What I did not do is get their autograph or take pix with them. That's NOT what we are suppose to do. We aren't even suppose to go up to them. But I had to say thank you. Had I thought about it I woulda thanked James McDaniel for his performance on "Law & Orders SVU" but he left.

It's funny this movie shoot was lower budget and non-paying for me, yet the experience was much more amazing that the two bigger budget Hollywood films. I also made some very decent friendships (I'd say I met 4 people I generally will stay in contact with and even hang out with), and it deepened a friendship I wasn't really familiar with. All in all I had an amazing time. And I didn't feel like it was cutthroat like on HCTB and Ted. People weren't out to get their face on screen and step on you to do it. I was pretty impressed not gonna lie.

In any event if you ever want to test the waters of acting sign up with CPCASTING.com or BOSTONCASTING.com or even check craigslist.org and become an extra. Don't go into it thinking you will instantly become a celebrity and be discovered. Take the gig for the experience and go into it with a job mentality. This is work paid or not; be professional, arrive on-time, and BE PROFESSIONAL!

...my older posts