Stronger

Image result for stronger
The absolute best movie of 2017, and quite frankly my Top 10 fave movie of all-time. Keep reading...
Jake Gyllenhaal plays real-life Boston Marathon bombing survivor Jeff Bauman. Jeff isn't perfect and neither is his family (Miranda Richardson, Richard Lane Jr, Clancy Brown, Nate Richman, Lenny Clarke, Kate Fitzgerald, and Patti O'Neil). In fact the wisecracking, beer drinking, and outspoken family is a stereotypical portrayal of Boston families...in the beginning. Even Jeff's girlfriend Erin (played by "Orphan Black" Emmy Winner Tatiana Maslany) is portrayed like a typical Boston girl...again in the beginning.

What happens throughout the course of the movie is UNPRECEDENTED! Jeff isn't just the survivor from the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing that ID'd one of the bombers. He's a flawed individual with insecurities and weaknesses exactly like everyone else. His family isn't just a loud mouthed Boston family no no they are loving to the point of smothering, they can make a joke during heavy situation, and they are SO PROUD of Jeff even when he's not proud of himself.

I have to give it up to the director David Gordon Green (one shot of Erin in bed with Jeff...it's not even about nudity or sex but the closeness of these two characters) and screenwriter John Pollono (no detail is left untold in this script). And when I say John left no detail the portrayal of nurses while Jeff was in the hospital and even his therapy coach was AMAZING! I can't even describe it but the conversations were real. Even when Jeff coughed the nurse covered his mouth. It was like watching a home movie not a Hollywood production. One of my white sisters, one of my friends, and a few of my aunts were nurses and the dialogue, hand movements, how they interacted with Jeff and his family just blew me away.

And I said it last year with Casey Affleck, Jake Gyllenhaal will win Best Actor at the 2018 Academy Awards. I know there's 4 months left of the year, but I cannot see ANYONE coming close to the portrayal he did. Miranda Richardson as proud, overbearing, chainsmoking, beer guzzling, mama Bear will be nominated for Best Supporting Actress (hope she wins as did I predicted Melissa Leo's win in The Fighter). But honestly I never watched "Orphan Black" so I didn't even know it was Tatiana portraying Erin. She had a quiet yet powerful performance, but Jake dominated every scene with her. I think she deserves a nomination, but I dunno about a win.

Overall I give this movie 5 out of 5 stars. Amazing truly. Special effects and makeup were phenomenal. How they make Jake look was amazing. And also the supporting cast, extras, and small parts in the movie were INSPIRING! Watch for the stories with Larry and Carlos for highlights of my fave small scenes.

That's Jeff in the wheelchair, and the man in the cowboy hat is Carlos...who saved his life by tying off his legs. This photo is the most famous image from that day in April 2013. It's the story that ran all over the papers. This movie is about that man who survived....SURVIVED! Never ever forget. #BostonStrong


jeff bauman boston bombing photo

...my older posts