American Hustle

The late 1970s is the setting for this movie. Christian Bale is a local businessman married to Jennifer Lawrence but having an affair with Amy Adams. Christian and Amy get into the business of conning which puts them in Bradley Cooper's orbit, an FBI agent. Robert DeNiro, Louis CK, and Jeremy Renner appear as well. I give it 4 stars outta 5. Here's my assessment:

Of the performances one thing I notice is actors will take roles not for the artistic integrity, but the potential. I feel like that's what Bradley is doing. Christian, Amy, and JLaw do whatever feels right (Didn't House at the End of the Street get released after she won an Oscar right?). It bothers me because after he does win his Oscar he'll be in shitty movies. Bradley feels like he's playing a combo of his role in "Silver Linings Playbook" and "The Hangover" trilogy. Christian is playing an older, less suave version of Patrick Bateman, and Amy Adams...I love Amy, but everytime I see her in a movie even when she's happy she looks like she is about to burst into tears at any moment. Know anyone like that? When the scenes call for Amy to BRING IT and cry OF COURSE she's right there, but otherwise I feel like I'm watching on broken eggshells with her LOL (prays to screen) Please don't make Amy upset. The real star of this movie is Jennifer Lawrence. She's so imbedded into the movie to remove her would make this good movie bad. Every scene she's in is electrified by her being. She WILL win Best Supporting Actress Oscar this year. Christian, Amy, and Brad will be nominated for Lead Actor, Lead Actress, and Supporting Actor respectively. Even though Christian is old enough to be her dad it's totally believable she loves him, that she WOULD'VE fallen in love with him, and that she would rip Amy Adams a new one if she came near him. Her performance is unlike anything she's ever played. The closest would be a less polished version of her Oscar winning role in "Silver Linings Playbook." What I love about this movie is everyone is cast in a part perfect for their range. 

The movie itself is okay. I mean I didn't love it nor did I hate it. I saw this movie for the performances though NOT the actual script. Having said that the movie will clean up during Awards Show scene. Think "Argo" with a love story.

I truly hope JLaw doesn't trip up the stairs accepting her second Oscar. I just don't think the rest of the cast "delivered" like JLaw. Next time folks (although Christian has a Best Supporting Oscar from The Fighter; Amy & Bradley have yet to win). David O. Russell will win for Best Directing and Original Screenplay.

...my older posts