Flowers in the Attic

Heather Graham portrays Corrine mother of four beautiful children. When her husband Christopher Sr. dies she takes her preteen son Christopher Jr, preteen daughter Cathy, and ten year old twins Cory and Carrie. To survive them move back to Corrine's childhood home where her evil mother played perfectly by Ellen Burstyn informs Corrine her father is dying. Her father doesn't know of Corrine's children and doesn't want to. Her mother agrees to let Corrine and the kids stay under the condition the kids stay in the attic. With me so far?
This adaptation unlike the 1987 version is more close to the book where we see WHY the kids stay, why the mother hates Corrine and the kids, and how (like the book) Cathy & Chris can fall for each other being siblings. 

The acting is dynamite. Mark my words Ellen Burstyn WILL win a Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress. 19 year old Mason Dye as Christopher is a very good actor; I see big things in his future, and I felt totally gross thinking he was hot AND has a bubble butt (hits self with Bible "I am going to Hell"). And 14 year old Kiernan Shipka as Cathy didn't blow me away the way Kristy Swanson did, but she's going to be a little powerhouse...Kristen Stewart better watch out. I did feel for this movie it was more focused on Christopher than Cathy. Maybe I'm misreading it but there was ALOT of Christopher as opposed to the first movie.

Very good remake. Lemme say this Lifetime has been KILLING it with the TV movies the past year. Next up is Lizzie Borden Took the Ax. Cannot wait for that. My only bone of contention is after they finally escape the attic (like the book) after making it a point to steal money and do all they can to get funds for their trip they don't take ANY of it despite having the time. I don't get that part. All in all I'd give it 4.5 stars if I'm being picky. 

...my older posts