Black Mass

Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulger...yes he will be nominated for an Oscar. It's automatic. There is no question Depp was made for this role. He may even win over Eddie Redmayne who will play the first transwoman in The Danish Girl (since Eddie won last year and this is Johnny's career defining role). But Johnny isn't the only one that shines.

Joel Edgerton, Jesse Plemmons (Meth Damon from "Breaking Bad"), Rory Cochrane, Kevin Bacon, the list of amazing supporting cast goes on for days. Headed by Scott Cooper (one of the hottest looking directors ever) this movie explains alot but not the most important thing.

When I see a movie about someone as big as Whitey Bulger I want to know WHY. Why does he kill? Why does he hate? Why does he think he's above the law? That's the one thing in the script that isn't answered. Johnny does a great job acting, but he never acts in a scene that makes me get (not agree) why Whitey is so evil. Then again maybe that's the point of the writer. I just can't believe people are just evil to be evil. I truly believe they end up that way through their own interpretation of life.

Overall 3 stars out of 5. Living in the Boston area it is sad to hear the stories of locals affected by Whitey's crimes. Families changed forever. I guess that's also part of the reason I want to know why. But mark my words Johnny will win the Best Actor in a Leading Role Oscar.

...my older posts