The Martian

Anyone who knows me knows Matt Damon is my dream guy. He's my number one crush since his breakout role in "Good Will Hunting." Oddly enough that was his first Best Actor in a Leading Role Oscar nod...this will be his second.

"The Martian" tells the story of space astronaut/botanist Mark Watney (Matt Damon) accidentally left on Planet Mars is a rush evacuation during a surface storm. Left to his own devices he must survive until a rescue crew comes for him. We all know how this will end, but getting there is what makes it amazing.

First off I know how that sound but the script is surprisingly realistic and amazing. They leave no stone unturned and make you understand everyone's viewpoint. Even the ones you don't agree with thanks in part to the supporting cast led by Jessica Chastain. It's cool how I want to think of Kristen Wiig in a comedic role but in this movie she's dead-on. Yes she has some funny lines, but she's 100% believable as a serious actress. Bravo, Ridley.

Ridley Scott does an impressive job directing. You need to see this movie in the theater or on a huge screen. The visuals are unbelievable.

To say this movie is 5 stars is an understatement. It will win Best Picture at the Oscars. I feel this is Matt Damon's Tom Hank's "Castaway" role. If Johnny Depp's Whitey Bulger didn't exist this year Matt would win Best Actor. 

...my older posts