the one about high school

It's not until you get out of high school when you realize you didn't do what you should've. If I was the person I was today back then I would've:
  • Asked either Brandon Parrelli or Matt Perodeau on a date. Sure they're straight and would've rejected me but it's all about the boldness not result.
  • Been more involved in swimming and track be damned my shyness.
  • Been more outgoing when it came to friends in high school.
  • Gotten a part-time job. I feel like I have huge goals as to what my dream job is but nothing for my backup plan. I would have loved to been the person who worked at Express since high school and now a district manager with them putting me through college.
  • Talked back more to those whom put me down.
  • Lived on-campus through college. Getting my first roommate and getting into activities on campus.
...Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift that's why it's called the present. That's the old adage. Who's to say I'd be the person I am today if all that stuff changed. Plus especially with college I would've missed all that time with Ashley, Mandee, and Brett. Now that's stuff I can't ever regret having.

What's been odd/good for me is bumping into people from high school on Facebook. Not only seeing where they are at now, but how they react to me. Seeing them through my eyes. My impression of myself in high school? Only black and openly gay kid in high school. I was smart, but craved attention. And had immature moments but mostly older than most. I spent alot of time alone or with Ashley, Mandee, and Brett.

The outpouring of support and understanding from them NOW has been amazing. For someone I was the first gay guy they'd ever met. Others the first black guy. There was ONE person that deserved my hatred. One person I should never forgive. He made my life hell...with that person I found him on myspace a few years ago. I confronted him and told him how much hell he made my life AND what my life was at home. I wanted him to feel like crap. I wanted him to actually regret what he did...guess what? He did. He was remorseful. It's that moment in movies where the nerd confronts the bully and says what he wants and the bully relents. Even though it was all online his words made me cry. I was so happy even overjoyed he went through hell too. His life wasn't perfect during or even after high school.

So yeah that's my thought about high school. There's a part of me that wishes I could go back, but there's more of a part that is glad I went through the trials and tribulations. Sometimes drama can be character building.

...my older posts